Prospective students applying to Rutgers University–Camden majoring in the Theater Program with concentrations in Acting and Musical Theater, are encouraged to audition. Theater auditions are not required to enter the program. However, auditioning students will have a chance to meet with the faculty, receive feedback on their performance, and discover their potential in the program. In addition to that, candidates who satisfy the minimum requirements for university admission with lower SAT or ACT scores but a high audition score will be accepted to the university and the Theater Program.
*Students interested in the Theater Design and Technology Program are invited to participate in the art portfolio review.
*Students interested in Filmmaking are invited to meet for an interview with our Filmmaking faculty.
There are two options for prospective first year and transfer students to audition:
Option 1: In-person audition on campus (recommended)
Option 2: Online audition submission
Our next Audition Day will be during our Arts Day Open house on October 20. (Register here) We recommend that you audition on this day, as it is also an opportunity to tour campus and be introduced to faculty members, however, auditions and tours may also be scheduled for alternative dates.
To schedule an individual audition for applying high school seniors and transfer students, please contact our Assistant Program Coordinator, Brandon Borrelli.
This option is recommended for candidates residing within travel distance to our campus (NJ and greater Philadelphia region).
Prospective students should register for an audition during one of our audition dates. Limited number of auditions will be held during our Arts Days.
Preparing for theater auditions:
- Two contrasting monologues, one contemporary and one classic
- Each monologue should be under 3 minutes
Online Theater Audition Submission
This option is for candidates who are unable to travel to our campus for the in-person auditions.
Deadline for university’s Early Action portfolio submission: January 1st, 2018
Deadline for university’s Regular Action portfolio submission: February 1st, 2018
All submissions received after the Regular Action submission deadlines will be processed on a rolling basis.
To submit a theater audition for the admissions review, students should email links of their two contrasting monologues following the same format as described for the personal auditions. Submissions should be emailed to email@example.com.
Preparing materials for online theater audition submission:
- You should share your performances in the format of YouTube links in the body of your email. Please indicate titles of the performed work and any other relevant information.
- Students’ resume should be submitted in PDF format.
- In the body of the email, include your full name, home address, date of birth, anticipated concentration within Theater Program (Acting, Musical Theater, Design and Technology, or Filmmaking). Also include whether you are a first year student or a transfer student.
- The subject line of the email should state “Theater Audition Submission – your first and last name”. For Example: “Theater Audition Submission – Charles Chaplin”.
Questions regarding theater auditions should be directed to Stass Shpanin, firstname.lastname@example.org. Please do NOT send your performance YouTube links to this address. All online theater audition submissions should be sent to email@example.com.